home best of FAQs contact

Thursday, October 6, 2011

theology

i'm not much for theology.
not to say i don't like to study what I believe.
I do, I just don't think at the end of the day

when there are children dying of arsenic in their water
when mothers don't know to wash their hands after going to the bathroom
when women lose their babies growing inside of them
when jobs are lost
when tummies are hungry
when little babies have no parents
when cancer is everywhere

theology doesn't do much.

i'm for the Jesus who loved

by healing
by feeding
by listening
by weeping, and rejoicing
by washing feet
by being present

I want to love like that Jesus.




side note: for all of you who just freaked and think I don't ever study my Bible.  calm down, don't wet your pants. I do, and I love learning more and more about the God we serve through the study of theology.  This post comes mostly from an irritation that we can be so caught up in theology we miss the real stuff.

4 comments:

  1. That is the Jesus I serve! I don't think all the little things we bicker about in theology really matter. Love Jesus, love people, tell people about Jesus. That's about all there is to it, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to disagree.
    Without theology, we cannot understand what God requires of us.
    Without theology, we cannot know what God's standard is for life and practice.
    Without theology, we have no basis for knowing what is right or wrong.
    We cannot know what God has to say about every area of life. For the Bible speaks to all of the things that you mentioned. It may not be explicitly lined out for us, and that's where theology comes in. We must have a proper theology in order to understand the world as God would have us to. Without theology, we cannot know 'by what standard' we are to live by.
    Theology is not about the Bible.
    The Bible is theology. Theology is necessary to understand the Bible. One cannot separate the two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree! It's good to study but also to remember exactly what your studying about and what you believe. Very well said:)
    Wearing It On My Sleeves

    ReplyDelete

A comment, A comment! Oh how I love your thoughts. Thank you in advance, I can't wait to read your message.

I also want to thank you for your visit whether it be your first, second, tenth, or hundredth. I truly appreciate you friend!

Love,
Lauren