home best of FAQs contact

Monday, July 18, 2011

A Good Wife

Proverbs 18:22 says:
He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD.

Samuel tells me this daily.

I want to become a good wife by the things I do.
laundry
cooking
cleaning
organizing
grocery shopping
dry cleaning
and the list goes ever on...

but the Lord tells me that I already have been made a good wife. the Lord declares that nothing I ever do will earn me anything. I can't earn my salvation; I can't earn favor from the Lord; I can't work my way into being a good wife. Into being a perfect helper for my husband. I will never be a perfect wife.

but I have been given grace, so there is no reason to wait. my heart, my soul, my life has been changed by the God who saved me. so what am I waiting for? to finish the list of things that I think makes a good wife?

The Lord has been speaking to my heart to be present. To be present to Him. To wait in eager anticipation of His words for me each day. To be present, involved, and active in my interns at work. To devote myself to them in the time I have with them. and most of all, to be present to my husband. to sit with him after dinner; to give him my full attention. to let go of the list and sit with my husband while he plays ncaa.

I am reminded too often that in the story of Mary and Martha; my heart learns towards Martha's. I am convicted when the Lord says in Luke chapter 10 "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but only one thing is necessary." Only one thing is necessary? and it's not a clean house.... In my business and desire to be a good wife, I often overlook the one thing that is necessary.

so this day, this Monday; I am going to be the good wife that I have been transformed to be. I'm not going to wait another week until I have that one last thing done off my list to be the good wife. I am going to chose the good portion.

4 comments:

  1. Good thought to think about. I often get stressed out when I haven't had any energy that day to do the cleaning that I wanted to do. But I need to remember that giving my time and love to my husband is much more important, like you said! And God gave me a great hubby who knows my health issues and understands when I can't do what I needed to do that day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wishes! How kind of you. And thanks for the good word on your blog today too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! It's so easy to feel like we're only good women if we have everything under control and get everything on our to-do list done. It makes for a lot of run-down women who are full of guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! And a perfect reminder of what is TRULY important in this life!! So thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete

A comment, A comment! Oh how I love your thoughts. Thank you in advance, I can't wait to read your message.

I also want to thank you for your visit whether it be your first, second, tenth, or hundredth. I truly appreciate you friend!

Love,
Lauren